You wish to be alarmed for any new work by this artist? Please enter your email.
Swiss artist born in 1930 in Lucerne, André Thomkins lives in Germany from 1952 and teach at the Art Academy of Dusseldorf between 1971 and 1973. Surrealism and Dadaism particularly influence the artist; his interests are very eclectic. The works of Paul...
read more ARTIST ALARM
Biography of André Thomkins
Swiss artist born in 1930 in Lucerne, André Thomkins lives in Germany from 1952 and teach at the Art Academy of Dusseldorf between 1971 and 1973. Surrealism and Dadaism particularly influence the artist; his interests are very eclectic. The works of Paul Klee and Kandinsky, parapsychology, the design of utopian cities, philosophy as well as literature, fascinates Thomkins. This versatility is reflected in his work, which consists of drawings in pencil or ink, watercolors, paintings, sculptures, graphic works, but also writing palindromes and anagrams. He creates his own painting techniques ("Lackskins", "Rollagen", "Scharniere") and pictorial representation ("Rapportmuster"). In collaboration with Diter Roth and Daniel Spoerri, he produces works of Eat Art. Thomkins's work is filled with mysterious allusions and subtle irony.
The artist has many solo exhibitions organized in Switzerland, Germany and the Netherlands. He participates in Documenta 6 in Kassel, which was the largest exhibition ever held in Germany. After his death in 1985, a retrospective is organized in 1989/1990 between Berlin and Lucerne. The ambiguity of his work still fascinates today, as it rejects any categorization in the history of art.
Voir & découvrir
The work presented on this page is not available anymore.
Catalogue(s) raisonné(s)* « Die Druckgrafik und Monotypisches », Frieder Mellinghof et Dieter Koepplin, Galerie Stähli Verlag, Zurich, 1977 All the "catalogues raisonnés"
Bibliographic track & more
To read from or about the artist :* « Daniel Spoerri », Musée national d’art moderne, Centre national dart et de culture Georges Pompidou, Paris, 1990
* « Düsseldorfer Avantgarden, Persönlichkeiten Bewegungen Orte », Helga Weckop-Conrads, Ulrike Behrends, Richter Verlag, Düsseldorf, 1995
* « André Thomkins. Traumszene », Kunstmuseum Bern, DuMont Buchverlag, Cologne, 1999
* « André Thomkins. Lackskins », Friedemann Malsch, David Weiss, catalogue d'expositon, Galerie Hauser & Wirth, Cologne, Ed. GHW, Zürich, 2002
* « A.T. 3D die räumliche welt des André Thomkins », Friedemann Malsch, Kunstmuseum Liechtenstein, 2003
* « Ein Labyr ist kein Labyr », Wilfried Dörstel, Ed.Walther König, Cologne, 2009
* « Compass in Hand », Christian Rattemeyer, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2009
* « André Thomkins. Eternal Network », Dagmar Streckel, Friedemann Malsch, Kerber Verlag, Bielefeld, 2013
Stamp :No stamp made.
Artists on display
The art and the artists display: proclamations, galleries, museums, personal or collective exhibitions. On walls or in shop windows, wise or rebels, posters warn, argue, show. Some were specially conceived by an artist for such or such event, other, colder, have only the letter.
Some were created in lithographic technic, most are simple offset reproductions. They are many those who like collecting these rectangles of paper, monochrome or in games of colours, in matt paper or brilliant, with many words or almost dumb.
We are happy also to be able to greet, by this pages, mythical galleries as those of Denise René, Louis Carré, Claude Bernard, Berheim Jeune, Maeght, Pierre Loeb and others.